Roasted Red Pepper Relish
With Billies Salt for Seasoning, this relish is yummy on crackers with cheese or in a sandwich with cold meats. Try with olives instead of corn, or add some apple or chilli.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 kg Red Peppers
- 2 tsp Billies Salt for Seasoning
- 1 kg Tomatoes
- 2 tbs Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tin Corn Kernels drained
- 2 tbs Corn Flour
- 2 tbs White Vinegar extra
- To get ready, sterilise your jars and pre-heat the oven to 200C fan bake.
- Prepare peppers by slicing into quarters, remove the seeds and pith.
- Place the peppers on a tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with 1 tsp of Billies Salt for Seasoning.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes and cool.
- Dice peppers, onions and tomatoes and place in a large pot with 1 tsp Billies Salt for Seasoning, mustard seeds, vinegars and sugar.
- Gently simmer for 30-45 minutes to reduce.
- Add corn and bring back to a simmer.
- Mix corn flour with the extra 2 tbs white vinegar, add to the relish to thicken and simmer for a further 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Pour into jars while hot.
Make sure you don't get water anywhere near the mixture as it will go mouldy.